Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Giving Thanks



Tomorrow, Thanksgiving is upon us.  And what a wonderful day it is.  Before Black Friday started on Thursday, I feel like it was one of the less commercial holidays and rather just about food, family, football & giving thanks.  I am all about being grateful for the traditional things: good health, family and friends, roof over your head, etc.  However, I'm also trying to think about things I'm grateful for a little differently this year. 

I'm currently in a Beth Moore study called James: Mercy Triumphs.  In Week Five, Day One, Beth asks her readers a series of questions about something you've longed for but don't have.  The last question she asks is, "Has anything good or beneficial come to you or to others as a result of your lack?  If so, list every bit of fruit you can identify or even remotely discern."

I found this interesting as we so often focus on what we don't have and what we're missing out on.  However, when asked to list good things that have come from me not getting what I want, I had a long list complete with amazing travel (which led to even more amazing friends), a part-time gig as a tour guide, and getting the opportunity to take MBA classes.

Later in the study, Beth also makes the good point that God sees a situation in its entire context: not only what currently is, but what was and also what will be.  We sometimes question His decisions because we don't have all of the information He does.  And as my group discussed at study, sometimes you have to look back and be thankful that He didn't give you what you asked for.  Instead, you ended up with something better that you never would have thought to request.  Or you do get what you asked for, but in His timing, not yours.

What are you thankful for this year?  Is there any good in your life that came from not getting what you want or thought you wanted?

No comments:

Post a Comment