Monday, December 1, 2014

The Friendiversary looms nigh

Becky: I met Julianne the week I moved into the dorms at the University of Nebraska--Lincoln. I was in the honors dorm Neihardt, in the Heppner wing. Mine and A's room was literally in the stairwell. Catty-cornered from our room was Julianne and M's room. M and A were close friends from the year before, and M is super-crazy-talkative and friendly, so natch I got invited to watch a movie in their room. In the process I actually met The Wav, who eventually married M, but that is a different story for a different day. I also met Julianne.

Julianne's senior year, Becky's junior year, hanging out in Courtyards


If I'm really honest, I don't remember forming an opinion of Jules right away. I'm sure I liked her, and I'm sure we got along fine, but I'm not really talkative when I first meet people, and Jules' and my friendship is based on the sharing of words, information, and laughter, which isn't something that can happen until both people actually start talking. As I became more comfortable in my new habitat, I opened up. I think in my mind the moment we officially bonded was the night we stayed up talking and laughing crazy hard one weekend until 3am.

After that, we were inseparable (not really, but that is the kind of thing you are supposed to say when writing this crap).

Julianne: Our friendship has even survived traveling together.  Once to Dallas but most notably when Becky visited me while I was teaching English in Vietnam.  Nothing says friendship like traveling more than 8,000 miles for spring break.

At a "Hue" style restaurant in the Phu My Hung district of Ho Chi Minh City


So of course a while ago, I evidently said we should commemorate our 10 year friendiversary by getting tattoos in 2015.  (I say "evidently" because I don't really remember this but it definitely sounds like something I'd say.)  Stay tuned to see what we end up getting!

In front of a waterfall at the arboretum in Dallas, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment