Sunday, November 23, 2014

Under Appreciated Male Coiffures, Part 2

Hey friends. Let's talk about the Man Bun.

I can't really pinpoint the moment it happened. I suspect it was when I was watching Sky High and I caught a glimpse of Warren Peace wiping down tables in a Chinese restaurant, hair pulled back, brooding all over the place. Naturally I had to Google the actor who played him to make sure that I was not, in fact, lusting after an actual high school student (I wasn't). Once I realized I wasn't being pervy, I had to tackle my next project: Reevaluating my stance on the male ponytail.

Let me be clear. I don't generally dig ponytails on men. In fact, I typically don't like long hair on men at all (depending on the cut and the man). But there is something about that bun.

Then I found out that Mr. Strait was in excellent company. The Man Bun has been worn by a plethora of celebs. Really REALLY attractive ones, actually. And lest you think that Becks is one-dimensional in his hairstyling habits...


This is a real thing, people. A beautiful beautiful thing. And it's being embraced by all the right people.


Yes. That is Justin Bobby.

However it bears mentioning that not all Man Buns are created equal. There is a fine line between looking smoking hot and looking like a homeless hipster, and that line should REALLY not be crossed. Additionally, a bun too high on the head is a little too ballerin-o (What? There's no word for a male ballerina) for me.

You might be thinking, "Becky, we all know and love the Man Bun. It's far from under-appreciated." And to that I say, you've never met my mother. As it turns out, conservative women of a certain age aren't big fans of Man Buns. It's one of the greatest tragedies of our lifetime. That, and texting while driving (had to add a little gravitas to this post at some point)

No comments:

Post a Comment