Monday, December 15, 2014

5 Songs You Need to Hear (Part I)

Sometimes music just kind of...happens to you.

You know what I mean?

Of course you do.

Here is a list of songs that have happened to me. I think they should probably also happen to you:

#1
Somebody Loves You 
by Betty Who

This one is a super fun song. Seriously. I dare you to listen to it and not smile. 



#2
Do You Love Me
by Guster

This one reminds me somehow of all those Herman's Hermits songs my dad loves to listen to. I think it's the bells. Wait, BELLS? Yes. There are bells. It's a fun video too. These guys are super quirky.



#3
Bien o Mal
by Julieta Venegas

Ok, fair warning, this video is super weird. In fact, you should probably just listen to the song without watching it so the bizarreness of the video doesn't color your perception of the song. Unless you like watching women eat flowers and fart butterflies. And no, I'm not kidding. But the song is fun, and I have it on good authority from a Mexican friend of mine that the lyrics are very sweet. He could have been lying, though.



#4
Junebug
by Robert Francis

Part of the reason I added the (Part I) to the end of this post title was because of my deep abiding love for Robert Francis. The man is a fountain of great songs. This one has a bittersweet quality to it that I love, because apparently pain appeals to me. The video isn't my fave, but I think that's because the first time I heard it I imagined the whole thing taking place on a rickety front porch somewhere in the sticks, and this video tells a completely different story.



#5
We Can Try
by Between the Trees

This song changed me. Then I played it so many times that it also started to change my college roommate. It really sucks you into this vortex of hopefulness, and you're left desperate to know if she really did give the guy a second chance. Please say yes. She'd be a fool not to.



No comments:

Post a Comment