Saturday, October 3, 2015

5 Songs You Need To Hear (Dad music edition)

My dad isn't really what you'd call "flexible" when it comes to his taste in music. I've tried to get him to branch out, many times, to no avail. He's just stuck in the 60s/70s. Ultimately, I've learned to look on his inflexibility with good humor; a necessary thing when he makes horrible faces whenever you're riding in a car and decide to play some of your tunes. Mostly, I just give in and create playlists that both of us like. The good thing is, a lot of this music is new to my generation, so finding good 60s/70s/80s songs is kind of like going to a museum and finding out that people actually wore some cool clothes in 1925. Who knew?

So, in honor of my dad's birthday today, here are some oldies but goodies, lesser known to the Millennials of the world but well-known to the Boomers. This one is for you, you old coot.

#1
Snoopy's Christmas

The Royal Guardsmen 


I think my dad got a kick out of introducing The Royal Guardsmen to my brother and I when we were kids. I mean, we didn't live under a rock; we knew who Snoopy was, and like 80% of their music is about Snoopy. Before you listen to this one, you might want to hope over to YouTube and listen to "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" first, just to give you some context. My father loves songs that tell stories, and these songs definitely qualify. I chose to list Snoopy's Christmas over Snoopy vs. The Red Baron simply because it was my favorite Royal Guardsmen song. Something about those bells.



#2
I won't Last a Day Without You

Carpenters 


I'm not kidding when I tell you that my parents owned the complete Carpenters collection (2 CDs), and I eventually absconded with it and listened to it on repeat. I think it might be my dad's lifelong dream for me to sing their songs in public. Like with a microphone and an audience. Not sure if that's ever going to happen, but I admit that I DO love their music. Her voice is just so soothing.




#3
Timberline

Timberline


This one is a bit obscure. This band was more of a localized music sensation, I think, because as far as I can tell, there isn't any video or recording anywhere of the original version of this song, except the snippet I've posted below. In any case, when I was a kid, we would go on trips as a family and (not even joking) would sing along to it in the car as a family. Before you go judging us, I should tell you that we also played trivia games and listened to books on tape...wait. That doesn't make us sound any less geeky, does it? You know what, I DON'T CARE. Take your judgement elsewhere. But first, listen to this song.


#4
I'm Into Something Good

Herman's Hermits


Herman's Hermits was another of those random bands to which my brother and I were introduced as children. And, like the Royal Guardsmen and Timberline, we DEFINITELY rocked out to this stuff. HARD. Even more so than the others, I think. I mean, who can listen to any of the Hermits' music and be like, "I have no desire to bob my head up and down?" No one. That's who.



 #5
Leader of the Band

Dan Fogelberg


Oh, Dan Fogelberg. What a chill voice. What a storyteller. My dad isn't a crier, but if he was, I think this song would make him weepy. I mean, I can't even listen to the song without crying. So touching. Feel free to ugly cry if you have a father and/or a soul.



I keep thinking about all of this music, and all that is happening is I'm coming up with more ideas for more dad versions of this series. Maybe I'll have him pick 5 songs of his own and post it sometime. I'm sure he'd really dig that (Notice my use of old person slang there).


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TUMNUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment